Monday, October 01, 2007

A Month of Macarons!



Whoopee! It's October and the start of Canele's much-awaited (well, by me anyway) Macaron Festival. Just for this month, Chef Patissier Pang Kok Keong (Singapore's answer to the likes of Pierre Herme and Paco Torrablanca) has created a range of six special macaron flavours, packed in an irresistibly pretty box with a charming illustration of a Thumbelina-esque girl wearing macaron booties.

These limited edition flavours — Marron Glace (chestnut cream and candied chestnut), Pistache et Griottine (with pistachio cream and brandied cherry), Sesame, Matcha, Noisettine Truffe (truffle cream and roasted hazelnut) and Citron Vert (with green lime cream)— are sold in boxes of 6 or 12.



I'm trying to go through my precious stash slowly, which means so far, I've only tried the Citron Vert and Marron Glace. The former is a tangy, fun flavour, with the buttercream tasting surprisingly like lime soda. The latter has all the lovely, mellow sweetness of chestnuts. I'll let you know when I've sampled the other flavours in the days to come. (Believe me when I tell you that every ounce of self-restraint has been called upon to prevent myself from inhaling them all at once).

Already my friends and I are planning to head down to Canele sometime next week to try the Entremets (more lavishly assembled macarons). I'm looking forward to the Passion Chocolat, which promises an oversized macaron sandwich filled with milk chocolate cream, light passionfruit cream and caramelised bananas.

Meanwhile, I'm also hoping to check out the high tea macaron buffet (available on weekends) at Macaron (which sits beside Canele). For $55++ per person, you get a choice of appetizer and entree from Macaron's regular menu, followed by a buffet offering 18 macaron flavours, 7 macaron entremets and 2 ala carte servings of Canele's homemade ice creams or sorbets. Sounds like heaven to me.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Kossowan said...

I feel like a complete foodie-moron. I've never had [face reddening with shame] a macaron, that I can recall...

9:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How very delectable. Keep enjoying them!

Paz

11:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you reveal how much the box is?

2:53 pm  
Blogger ilingc said...

oh my, they look gorgeous! i think i would need lots of self restraints too (if not forced restraints!) if I had a box of those around. Boy I wish I was in Singapore right now.

4:09 pm  
Blogger Oh for the love of food! said...

How lucky for you, we left too early, don't you think? Thanks for taking us to Macaron the last time, you are such a gem! I love your pics.

10:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey to be honest, their macarons are nothing special....and are majorly overpriced!!!

2:32 pm  
Blogger marias23 said...

I'm so very jealous! I wish I were in Singapore to enjoy the mac madness!

4:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eggy, you need to post more about the Macaron Festival *green with envy*. It sounds heavenly! I know what you mean about "precious stash" :). I can't wait to make the chestnut cream and pistachio cream for my macarons.

1:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like macarons but not to the point of desiring them. Still, this buffet thing sounds really good. What a nice introduction to the restaurant's cuisine, with a cool dessert buffet thrown in.

11:21 am  
Blogger Big Boys Oven said...

Cool! we need to taste new macaroons! :) we also baked macaroons here in KL! Do drop by our blog!

bigboyscakes.blogspot.com

9:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm, macarons, had my first one not so long ago and now I am totally hooked....they are sooo yummy

4:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home