Sunday, May 07, 2006

Jam Thumbprints


I can't help but think that these are the closest Western equivalent to our Chinese pineapple tarts which Chinese women whip up in truckloads come the Lunar New Year. So very more-ish and terribly addictive, these Jam Thumbprints from Claudia Fleming's The Last Course just melt in your mouth before an explosion of the sweet jam bursts onto your tastebuds. The recipe is really for Quince Jam Thumbprints. But the quinces proved too tart for me, even after hours of simmering over a stove, so I substituted it with raspberry jam instead and we were happy campers indeed. Strawberry jam didn't work so well; the combination was overly sweet for my liking. As Fleming suggests, these cookies can be eaten on their own as well, with a dusting of icing sugar. Neat, they reminded me of yet another Chinese cookie, the Walnut cookie, which is sold in every traditional Hong Kong confectionary.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sigh. i love your blog. and i love the pictures even more.

i've linked you on my blog just so more pple can read you and drool :D

godbless.

8:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Eggy!

I have a thumbprint recipe that I always make at Christmas but I may have to try these instead.

Wel done!

9:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum, very tempting! They look like so tidy lined up this way!

9:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look like tasty little morsels. I'll definitly have to try them out.

12:17 pm  
Blogger shaz said...

great looking little gems. yum

11:27 am  
Blogger Sam said...

Awww, they look so pretty. Please could you send me one right now, via time machine, thank you!

4:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your cookies!

Paz

11:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look adorable, like little gems

3:04 pm  
Blogger G said...

yum!

4:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there, I was mesmerised by your sponge drops with raspberries back a few entries. How can I get sponge drops like urs ar? Do you just drop them on a baking tray and bake? If so, for how long?

11:22 am  
Blogger Annette Tan said...

Thanks everyone! Your wonderful comments are much appreciated :-)

Jacelyn, the batter for the sponge drops allows you to shape them on the baking sheet with the back of a spoon. They hold their shape and spread a little when baking. When they came out of the oven, I shaped them further with a cookie cutter.

8:12 pm  
Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

why are u tempting me with all these delish cookies and food stuff.......? sigh....there goes my diet..

3:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful little jewels...i wonder if any other fillings would work without being overly sweet...apricot maybe? raspberry?

12:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home