Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Pear Upside-Down Cake



This is one of those desserts I turn to when I have friends coming over for a meal and I've been a tad overambitious with the menu. Last week, it was the Oxtail Daube from Paula Wolfert's The Cooking of Southwest France that did me in (I'll do a post on that sometime in the future).

This Pear Upside-Down Cake recipe comes from Vogue Entertaining + Travel's doyenne of food, Joan Campbell. It really is a throw-everything-together cake, the only real work coming from melting butter with brown sugar and slicing up a pear or two. I usually make the batter and leave it in the fridge, baking them as baby cakes just before eating. The original recipe calls for it to be baked as a large cake, with quartered pears embellishing the top. But they really do look a lot more sophisticated as individual portions and, for some reason, the cake actually turns out a lot lighter and fluffier that way too. The addition of ground ginger and cinnamon provides a wonderful, rounded spiciness to this classic, which I served with Vanilla Honey ice cream.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful cake Eggy. Looks so elegant and decadent at the same time.
And I love this magazine as well btw. Am subscribed! Yeah!

4:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks yummy....what kind of pears did you use?

4:23 pm  
Blogger shaz said...

will try that out soon. I like pear in dessert. Its sophisticated without sophistication.

4:10 pm  
Blogger Annette Tan said...

Thanks Bea! Vogue sure is beautiful indeed.

Gastrochick, I used Peckham pears, but you can use any kind of pear really.

Thanks Bron!

Hallo Shaz, long time no see :-)

2:14 am  
Blogger Joycelyn said...

hiya, looks scrummy. also, downsized, baby, miniature anything - sign me up please! can't wait to see what you'll get up to next weekend (and also check out the loot from you-know-where ;))

4:06 am  
Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

can u teach us how to snap a nice pic ? lolz

6:02 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I love the idea of mini pear upside down cakes. Like little pear upside down cupcakes!

You're the second or third person I've seen recently who made pear upside down cake! Must be a sign since I've always made pineapple upside down cakes for others but can never eat that since I am allergic to it. Now it is MY time! Bwahahaha ... *choke*

Oh, if you are teaching Foodcrazee, I'm signing up too please.

3:08 pm  
Blogger Ange said...

Looks great & great tip on leaving the batter in the fridge premade, have always wondered if you could do that

1:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks excellent! I sometimes do this with my pineapple upside down cake (make the baby version), and I have been wanting to try it with other fruits (and maybe some nuts!)...thanks for the inspiration :)

11:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home