Thursday, April 20, 2006

Homecoming Cakes


Looks pretty good, huh? (If, um, I do say so myself). Well, it tastes bloody awful.

I made this cake for C as a welcome home treat. He'd been gone for two long weeks to Switzerland and his homecoming dish after a long trip is always Hainanese Chicken Rice from either his favourite Boon Tong Kee stall, which he's been going to since he was a child, or made by his mother. I wasn't about to compete with that, so I did the next best thing: I made dessert.

C's pretty partial to plain old-fashioned cakes like Swiss Rolls and Sugee Cake. Since my pal CL left me three bags of semolina before she went back to Costa Rica (her baggage was 13kg overweight and some things just had to go), and there was a recipe I'd been meaning to try for this Eurasian classic, the choice was clear. The recipe for this Sugee Cake, suffice it to say, was a dud. I did exactly what it said, but what I got in the end was a cake that was as dry as a desert sandbag. Dear, dear C kindly declared it: "Not that bad," and proceeded to eat an entire slice. But I know an irretrievably dry cake when I cut into one, so it was back to the kitchen, so determined I was to redeem my culinary welcome-home efforts.

Since I had some fresh raspberries in my fridge begging to be used, I decided to try a take on another of C's favourites: the Swiss Roll from the stalwart bakery on East Coast Road, Chin Mee Chin. It's as old-school as they come: a layer of raspberry jam rolled into a plain sponge cake. Inspired by J's Ispahan, I made sponge drops, cut them into neat rounds and slathered them on one side with raspberry jam. In between, a dollop of unsweetened whipped thickened cream and a couple of fresh raspberries.



Thankfully, these ones turned out successfully. They didn't last longer than a day.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! The cake slice does look pretty good. Too bad it didn't taste so good. I'm glad your second try turned out much better. That looks good, too!

Best,
Paz

1:58 am  
Blogger Gustad said...

ever have fresh rasberry jam? its awsome. my dad makes fresh jams

3:18 am  
Blogger Sam said...

i guess it needs to be warmed slightly in the microwave and then smothered, nay drowned, in whipped cream.

I am sorry - I hate it when the desserts dont live up to their prmise.

Looks like you saved the day though!

5:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your raspberry sponge drops look wonderful.

9:57 am  
Blogger Joycelyn said...

hiya, pretty presentation is sometimes (though obviously not always) half the battle won ;) have i ever mentioned i've yet to make a sugee recipe that worked out? (hmm, wonder why that is ;p)the sponge drops sandwiched with raspberries look totally delicious - like berry shortcakes (but with a twist of course!)

11:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum! One word, YUM!

11:16 am  
Blogger Andreea said...

funny! glad all turned out ok

8:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! what a pic....irrestible!

7:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, It's irresistible!

7:28 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

LOL, ah we've all had those days ... Actually, if you fed it some nice alkie like Grand Marnier or brandy, then slathered it with some mascarpone, dusted with choccie flakes and flung some berries on top, it can probably be nicely rehabilitated. OK, I just made myself hungry again. It's all your fault.

10:39 pm  
Blogger Valisa said...

ooohhh gorgeous. I want some!!!

10:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Eggy,

I'm sorry the cake didn't turn out well but the biscuits with cream look divine!

I found your blog via Bron's blog and I'm so glad that I did.

It's lovely ... keep up the great work!

8:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's awful when things don't turn out as planned. I had a disaster today, I made a great pavlova, put it on the table outside and went to answer my telephone. When I returned my puppy's face was covered in cream, she'd climbed onto one of the chairs and started licking round the edge.

Thankfully I salvaged about half of it and still managed to get a picture but boy was I annoyed

12:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home