Friday, January 27, 2006

A Sweet For Some Treats


Throughout my adult years, I have, for one reason or another, spent quite a fair bit of time in London. Thus, over the years, I have come to love several things about Britain's capital city, like for example, Walkers crisps. Yes, I am indeed a junk food junkie and personally, nothing beats sitting in front of the tele with a pack of Walkers crisps and a bubbly sugary drink. So when my good neighbour Tom told me he was heading back to his hometown for a short spell, I begged him to bring back a few packets of my favourite Prawn Cocktail flavoured Walkers Crisps. The dear, dear man obliged.

And so last weekend, Tom turned up at my door bearing a pastic bag full of my favourite junk food. I could have kissed him, except C was standing right next to me. Once I accepted the bag of salted calories, wolfed down a pack and put the rest aside for later, I set about making Tom and his wife Kate a suitable thank you gift.

As usual, I went with my foolproof, always impressive Bitter Chocolate Tart -- it's super easy to make, yet elegant and extremely and, well, impressive. Its base is made from either ground Marie or Digestives biscuits and melted butter (yup, a cheesecake base, essentially). Once that's been shaped in a tart tray and refrigerated, I fill it with a chocolate ganache made with the best dark chocolate available in my cupboards (there's always dark chocolate in my cupboards) and thickened heavy cream. The ratio of cream to chocolate is 1:1. Which means if you use 150 grams of chocolate, then you mix it with 150ml of heavy or thickened cream. You simply chop up the chocolate, bring the cream to a boil, and then pour the cream over the chocolate and let it steep for about 30 seconds. The chocolate will melt under the heat of the cream and you then stir it all together to mix it into a shiny homogenous mixture. Pour that into the tart shell and refrigerate again. Two hours later, voila, a bitter chocolate tart that's as good as, if not better than, any patisserie-bought version.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

me - i like the roast chicken Walkers crisps and the prawn cocktail Skips.

I also have a soft spot for cheesey wotsits and cheesey quavers. Just as well I am an ocean away from them else my dieting willpower would be sorely tested.

1:59 am  
Blogger *kel said...

hi girl, alas...i've been waiting for a post from ya! that sounds like a really easy yet elegant thing to make. thanks for sharing...i'm sure your neighbors were more than delighted.

11:15 pm  
Blogger Annette Tan said...

Hey Kel! That's sweet. It makes me proud to hear that I have such a keen audience in you :-) The new job's been keeping me super busy hence the longer gaps between posts. Dun know if you celebrate Chinese New Year, but GongXi FaCai anyways!

And thanks for dropping by Sam. I have a thing for Pickled Onion Monster Munch too! That, for some reason, is available in Singapore, but because of the almost 3:1 exchange rate, they cost me a whopping $4 a bag. So has Fred asked your mum for your hand yet?

5:22 pm  
Blogger Journal Actif said...

Eggy, you have tastes similar to my husband's for junk food and soda in front of the TV. I tried to make him change, our sons seemed to take the same habit... But it didn't work of course. Now they have "Junky Fridays" every other week. Father/Sons tradition. They have "Lay's chips" and cream soda with a rented comedy on DVD. Sigh...
This chocolate tart sounds just too dreamy to be true LOL. So simple. I'm affraid I'll make it very, very soon. Thanks for the recipe.

2:51 am  
Blogger Stephanie said...

How strange. I just baked some chocolate tarts bravely in a turbp broiler. Love the photo.

3:21 pm  
Blogger Shana said...

I just licked my monitor. I had no other choice. Excuse me while I cry out in hunger.

2:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home